Hello lovelies! First I want to apologize for not blogging last week. I never want to miss a post, but sometimes you just need a breather! I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. It went by too fast as always. At least it’s summertime and the weather is warm! Well, for today I had originally planned on doing a video tutorial on cat eye makeup but of course my camera didn’t want to function properly, so that will have to wait until next week! So for today I will cover my top 15 makeup tips!
As I’ve shared with you all I LOVE makeup! I think a lot of people are scared of makeup or are just plainly lost and don’t know where to begin. Makeup is different for every person and you need to find what’s right for you. I’m hoping that with my simple tips I can help you embrace the wonderful world of makeup!
Tips, Tips, Tips, and some more Tips!! (yaaay)
1. My number one thing I highly recommend is please GET MAKEUP BRUSHES!! Those little applicators that come with your eyeshadow and blush are worthless! I’m not telling you to go to Sephora and buy expensive brushes, but do invest in some. You will notice such a huge difference in your makeup! I got all of my brushes from Target, and maybe this Christmas I will get my fancy ones that I ask for every year from Sephora lol. (Photo courtesy of, www.onlinecosmetic.tk)
2.Shape your eyebrows. Your eyebrows are the frame to your face. If your brows aren’t shaped at the moment, you are going to notice a HUGE difference in your face shape after you have them shaped. I also suggest to never go too skinny because then it just looks like you have no eyebrows and that’s never a good thing.
3. Fill in your eyebrows. Even after my eyebrows are shaped they seem a little sparse, plus I have a large scar on my right eyebrow so it leaves a blank spot.
4. For your blush find what is right for you and your skin color! I have lighter skin so I can’t wear blush that’s super dark or bright. If you are dark complected you can get away with darker and brighter blushes. For your blush make sure that you are putting your blush right onto your cheekbones and making an upward sweeping motion. I always used an angled blush brush, I find that it defines the best. (Photo courtesy of, www.makeupgeek.com)
5. Bronzer can be tricky. You want to make sure that you aren’t going too dark, and just like blush you want it to work with your skin tone. You will want to use a larger bronzer brush and you make a sweeping downward motion from just above your temple to the top of your cheekbone. (Photo courtesy of, www.ladylash.com)
6. When choosing a foundation always know your skin type. I have oily and dry skin (aka combination), so I have to make sure there’s not too many ingredients that will make my skin worse. The other important aspect is to NOT match your skin tone exactly. It will always come out lighter than what is in the bottle. Be sure to purchase foundation that is one color darker than your skin tone. Don’t let that scare you! I promise you it will match your skin tone.
7. When applying foundation NEVER use your hands. Always use some sort of applicator whether it be a makeup sponge, a foundation sponge, or foundation brush it will go on much nicer and plus your hands aren’t always that clean.
8. Speaking of clean, remember to wash your makeup brushes and makeup sponges. If you don’t your only spreading bacteria on your face, yuck! You can buy makeup brush cleaner or simple hot water and soap will do the trick!
9. Pick one feature and make it stand out! I like my eyes so I always put the most makeup on my eyes. Just remember to pick one. Don’t do a heavy eye and a heavy lip because you’ll look way too overdone.
10. Less is always more. Women tend to think that the more makeup the better. WRONG. Too much makeup will make you look older and can actually bring out the flaws that you are trying to hide. For instance, do you have red on your face? I have a few scars that give off a reddish tint so I use a green tinted concealer and apply a very thin layer to hide them. Find what works for your problems and use that instead of using everything under the sun.
11. I’ve heard of people complaining about getting mascara under your eyes as the day wears on. And while I have yet to discover a mascara that leaves ZERO residue after awhile, I have found what helps a lot. Make sure it’s waterproof and smudge proof, if you can get away with it don’t wear any on your bottom lashes, use a finishing powder under your eyes, and don’t wear eyeliner on the bottom.
12. For super smooth and seamless makeup use a primer. Once you use primer it will become your best friend. I don’t use mine everyday, but I can tell when I’m not wearing it. Primer helps your makeup go on smoother and it helps fill in any lines on your face, I also think it helps your makeup last longer.
13. Try out gel eyeliner. I’m OBSESSED with gel eyeliner. It goes on smooth and it easy to wipe off if you make a mistake. I tried it once and have never gone back to using a pencil or liquid. Gel eyeliner also comes in waterproof 🙂
14. Use a finishing powder. Find a light and translucent finishing powder to put on when you are done with your makeup. It gives a nice finish and helps your makeup stay in place longer.
14.5 Oops I forgot a tip 🙂 Sunscreen!! Use it and make sure your foundation and/or powder has it in it. We want to stay looking young! Make sunscreen your bff!!
15. My final tip is to HAVE FUN! Makeup isn’t about be strict and sticking to set rules; it’s about experimenting and finding what looks good on you. With that said don’t go too crazy because we don’t want you running around looking like a clown! Try different color eyeshadow, try a new lipstick; you will never know what you actually like until you try!!
(Photo courtesy of, www.makeup-yourmind.tumbler.com)
Seeking some inspiration? Head on over to my Pinterest and check out my makeup board! You’ll find lots of good things here: http://pinterest.com/ksilveira21/makeup-my-inspiration/
I hope you have learned a thing or two from my makeup tips. If you have any questions or would like more information on something please let me know! I love answering questions about makeup 🙂
Hopefully you all enjoy the rest of your week and remember to rock everyday like it’s your runway!
© 2012 – 2014, A Sweet Guest. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.