With record high temperatures throughout the east and north we all need to cool off this summer. Here are a couple ideas to use while in the pool. These are all activities to keep you moving in the pool and give you a little workout. However, this month’s theme is beside restful waters. So, if you need to enjoy some restful time with your family alongside some water (pool, lake, river, or sea) please do and smile.
Pool workout ideas: pick your favorite 5 or try all.
- Tread water- have a treading water contest to see who can last the longest. Winner can pick the next pool game
- Wall push-ups- push yourself into the wall and away do 15 reps at 3 sets
- Lift outs-using the side of the pool pull yourself up as if you have to get out of the water without stairs or a ladder. You should be able to lift your body straight out of the water. So when your hands are flat on the overflow, push till your arms are straight. If you want a challenge bring your leg up to the ledge touch and return down. Do 15 reps at 3 sets.
- Kicks-hold on to the side of the pool or a float and kick all around the pool till you are out of breath!
- Floating paddle-lay on a float like it’s a surf board, paddle using just your arms all around the pool. Challenge has someone hold your feet so you really have to pull but no splashing your helper. Take turns and have fun.
- Swim –anyway you know how; even if it’s a doggy paddle, till you are out of breath
- Toss kids-I know sounds bad but it’s fun and a challenging arm workout. If you have kids you are going to lift them up as high as you can and toss them into deeper water. Obviously, make sure that your children can swim and that you aren’t tossing children on other children. Once you start this activity you will probably have to toss every kid in the pool!
- Up, up, down, down with the baby-lift the baby up and hold then lower into the water, repeat till baby has had enough or your arms can’t take anymore
- Underwater race-swim underwater from one end to the other; race each other or get a watch with seconds and time each other
As always, I would love to hear from you. What pool games or activity do you love to do in water?
Here is my family playing in the pool together, and the above photo was taken by my husband (Pierce Brunson Photography) a couple months prior. You can see my son growing up!
Be fit, have fun
© 2012 – 2014, A Sweet Guest. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.