I do not DIY. I like to buy things already done for me; none of this do it yourself, time consuming, and very messy project that never turns out they way it looks in the picture stuff. WELL, I decided to DIY some cute food for a family picnic to the petting farm/pumpkin patch. I really wanted to do something really nice for my husband so I planned ahead to feed him and his entire family! We planned to go with several other families and I wanted him to feel like he was eating well even though we were at the farm. I had to plan to feed 6 adults and 2 small children. So, I racked my brain and I thought of Aimee’s Mason Jar Mondays! She inspired me to test my skills and preparation for my picnic. Here are several of her posts that helped me buy those mason jars and fill them with good food.
It went really well. Everyone was pleased and happy with the food. I will say that I saved the best for last with the mason jar tiramisu! Here’s what I packed for lunch:
- fresh bakery bread!
- chicken salad
- virginia sliced ham
- over roasted turkey
- medium roast beef
- provolone cheese
- american cheese
Chips (3 varieties)
Fruit in mason jars
- apple slices
- mandarin oranges
- red grapes
Tiramisu in mason jars!
I would definitely use mason jars again. I bought a dozen 1 pint wide mouth jars from Walmart for about $7. I spent $1 on Halloween themed stickers for the lids to make them more crafty. The mason jars are so cute that you really don’t need anything else. Everyone at the event was really surprised (more like shocked) that I did something so nice and domestic. They thought the mason jars were an awesome idea. I hope that I have inspired more people to step outside their comfort zone and face their fears of DIY. Once you do it, it’s not so scary! It might even become addicting!!!
AND here’s my tiramisu recipe!
original recipe from Kraft foods; I changed two ingredients and omitted the raspberries as garnish for the top. Here’s a link to the original recipe.
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups cold milk
- 2 pkg (3.4 oz each) Jell-O vanilla flavor instant pudding
- 1 8oz tub COOL WHIP topping, thawed
- Box of mini NILLA wafers
- 1/2 cup chocolate milk
- 1 bag of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (I use Nestles)
1. beat cream cheese until creamy, gradually beat in milk and dry pudding mixes. Stir in 2 cups of COOL WHIP. 2. choose a bowl, pan, or individual dessert dish to layer the tiramisu (I like the smaller portions so I do a parfait) 3. cover the bottom of the glass with NILLA wafers. At my house we like the dessert with more cookies and chocolate, but who doesn’t like more cookies and chocolate?! 4. drizzle with chocolate milk; just enough to wet the cookies 5. top with pudding mixture 6. add chocolate; we like to make a nice thick layer 7. repeat steps 3-6. Add cookie, chocolate milk, pudding mixture, chocolate 8. top with a spoonful of COOL WHIP 9. refrigerate several hours 10. serve and enjoy
-when making this dish you can layer multiple times or just once. You can also add more chocolate, less cookies, etc… Make it yours and make it fun.
Try something new and try DIY!
Be fit, have fun
© 2012 – 2014, a sweet guest. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.