I have wanted to do a 5K with my family since Thanksgiving! So here we go, FLT family; you get to join in the fun too. So, I will be writing over the next 8 weeks from start to finish our 5K plan, progress, and results. I have designed a basic plan for beginners to start and finish a 5K walk/run.
Our Family Fitness Series will include:
Making a plan for a 5K or any event
Training resources, websites, and tips
Follow through and progress check
Celebrate and share
1. Make a Plan:
First locate your resources:
- Active.com: Best website for finding events in any part of the country
- Local runners magazines and websites
- Local shoe stores, bike shops, or gyms: They always have information about local events and training groups
Second make a plan of action:
- How much:
My Plan: I want to be active and have an opportunity to send time with my husband. I also want to make a habit of doing activities and exercise that involve my son. I believe that showing your child/children that being active can be fun and is important to them developing positive ideas of exercise.
Your Plan: Make a plan that fits you and your life. You may want to find a run/walk, look to see if you can push a stroller, maybe select a different distance, plan to race for time, or plan to race a new longer distance. Maybe you are motivated by a great charity cause and would consider signing up to walk with others that share that support.
2. Select a training schedule or workout guide to follow and monitor your progress
- Minutes vs. Miles
- Couch to 5K
- My schedule
3. Track your progress
- Keep at it
- When you have a set back; get back it the next day
- Injury? Sick? Take care of yourself and health first then get back on the schedule
4. Enjoy the event and your work
- Take some pictures or buy pictures after the event
- Set your next goal
Inspired to Join? Set a goal now and share your plan!
© 2013 – 2014, A Sweet Guest. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.