Hello Fancy Little Things! I’m glad to be back. I took a personal hiatus due to some personal issues but God is good and I’m back.
Have you ever been stuck in the debate of workout at a legit gym or create your own home gym?
As of today I quit my gym. And I’m on the journey to lose weight.
What in the world am I thinking??
I’m thinking $30 extra dollars a month will be pretty nice 🙂
But starting a home gym is daunting. What do I need? How much will it cost? What brand should I buy? Where will I work out?
So here are 5 simple tips for starting a home gym.
- Determine what you mainly want to do. Are you wanting to be a yoga gal? Increase your strength? Ramp up your cardio? Cardio machines are the priciest of the equipment but check with local gyms that may be getting ready to upgrade, ask friends, and check the sales. Usually around new year they a pretty good deal. Once you determine what you want go purchase supplies. Exercise balls, weights, resistance bands are all easily accessible and create a well rounded gym that can function for many purposed.
- Set up a distinct area for your gym and keep all your equipment there.
- Invest in a heart rate monitor. Polar is really good and they run between $80-90 for the basic. I found them on Amazon.com for cheaper. I found one at Wal-Mart a few years ago for around $40. Make sure your heart rate monitor comes with a chest strap for accurate readings. I recommend getting a heart rate monitor so you know how many calories you burn…me I’m ordering a Polar! Pink is too cute!
- Create a calendar with certain days and a time for you to workout. The more routine, the more likely you will form a habit.
- Focus. I know my biggest worry is the temptation to just lay on the couch. But think of that as the reward for your workout. Workout, chill later.
Beginning any workout program can be exciting yet nerve-wracking. Calm down and realize it is about you and not the people are you. If you choose to stay at a gym then focus on your progress and utilize the gym to meet your needs. If you choose to create an at home gym pick equipment you would enjoy using, that’s the key. You want to want to work out!
© 2013 – 2014, Kimberly Bell. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.