I call myself a Lifestyle blogger. That’s undercover blogger code for my blog is a mixed bag and I don’t fit into any other niche.
I blog about what God is doing in my heart and how my kid’s teach me that love is an action word. I blog day-to-day, one story at a time.
Last October was different. I wrote about one topic – Living by Faith.
Since I tend to be a fly by the seat of my pants kind of blogger, I thought I would hate writing on a specific topic, but I surprised myself. I actually enjoyed the discipline of it all.
Discipline leads to accomplishment.
Shocking, I know.
Many bloggers have even turned their 31 Day series into e-books.
I know what you’re thinking – 31 days is a long to commit to one topic.
And you’re right. It is a long time, especially if you’ve never done it before.
I’d like to challenge you though. Maybe you want to start small with a week-long series, or perhaps you want to commit to twenty-one days. Whatever the length of time you decide, stretch yourself and write on one topic.
You’ll be surprised how writing on a limited subject will draw out your creativity and force you to think about your subject in ways you’ve never considered.
Benefits of writing a series on one topic:
- You will attract new readers.
- You will learn discipline in writing/blogging.
- You will stretch yourself.
- You will be forced to reach for a new kind of creativity.
- You will have written an entire series, perhaps the basis of a future book.
Sometimes it is very good for us to get out of our comfort zone. It’s not always easy and we may not even enjoy it at the time, but it helps grow us.
Maybe your blog is in a bit of a rut, the same old thing on repeat week after week.
Consider writing a series.
That’s what I’m doing, beginning September 30th. I’ll be writing 31 Days of Cheap Tricks, Living for Less.
Will you join us?
Tips for series topics:
- Write your passion. What are you passionate about?
- Write your knowledge. Do you have an area of expertise?
- Write your hobby. You can even record a DIY video!
- Write your faith. Maybe you’ve never shared your faith story. It would be a great opportunity to write about the journey.
- Write your fun. What do you do for fun? Perhaps you enjoy museums or movies or books…you can write about what you do in your leisure time.
- Write your sport or perhaps your quest to become a healthier more fit person.
Begin with what you know. Find a topic that is close to your heart and then commit.
You may be surprised by how much you enjoy writing on one topic.
© 2013 – 2014, A Sweet Guest. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.