I typically prefer faster paced novels with complex plots to romance novels but I very much enjoyed reading Ready or Not by Chautona Havig. In this novel, Aggie, a recent college graduate becomes the legal guardian of eight lively children when her sister and brother-in-law die in a tragic car accident. Things I liked about this book:
- The storytelling was well done. Though the plot seems simple, almost mundane (especially to those of us taking care of children in our every day lives), it drew me in and I became wrapped up in the stories of each individual child as they attempted to deal with their grief and get used to Aunt Aggie being in charge.
- I enjoyed the side plot of Aggie’s struggle to manage the money and renovate a large, old farmhouse while making each child feel at home.
- I actually learned a few parenting tips from Aggie’s experience that I’ll take with me into the real world!
- The author has obvious experience taking care of a lot of kids at once and made Aggie’s experience believable and intriguing.
- This book is part of a series so if you can’t bear to leave the characters behind, you’re in luck!
The not so much:
- At times the plot dragged a little bit but not so much that I stopped reading.
- Some of the romantic scenes were the tiniest bit corny.
Overall, this is a quick, easy read and as I write this, it is only $2.99 on Kindle!
© 2013 – 2014, Taylor Hoffman. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.