Happy Valentines Day, Friends!
I got a new gluten-free cookbook for Christmas that I just got out last week and started reading. (Yes, I read cookbooks and recipes as if they’re novels!)
They had a recipe for “Mini Goat Cheese & Fig Pizzas”. I suppose that would taste good, but there were many shrieks of “EEEWWW” from my kids when they saw the picture. I knew my husband wouldn’t be a fan, either.
For the dough:
1 1/3 cups milk
2 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. red wine or apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. granulated sugar
2 1/3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
1/3 cup coarse-ground yellow cornmeal, plus extra
2 heaping tsp. xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the milk, olive oil, vinegar, and sugar and stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
3. In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, xanthan gum, and salts.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated and a dough forms.
5. Divide the dough in half to make it easier to work with. Place one of the dough halves on a surface that’s well-floured, or on a piece of parchment paper, and sprinkle generously all over with some cornmeal. This makes it easier to roll out.
6. With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out as thinly and evenly as possible without it cracking, anywhere between 1/4 and 1/8 inch thick. If the dough gets too sticky, sprinkle with more cornmeal.
7. Bake the pizza crust for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly golden brown.
8. Remove the trays from the oven, add your favorite toppings, reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F, and bake them again for 4-5 minutes, or until toppings are heated through/cheese has melted.
© 2013 – 2019, Kristen Hamilton. All rights reserved. Love it? Please share, pin, tweet or email but do not use my work without permission.